"So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls." Acts 2:41
We talked this past week about the purposes, leadership and membership of The Village Church. There was a lot to say, but it was, and is, necessary. I felt led to share these three things again here, over the next few weeks, for you to take in further.
Membership: You are a person, not a number. We don't really care what the number is, but we do believe that a growing number, at whatever rate, indicates that the Lord is continuing to build His church. We care that people, being called to this ministry by the Lord, know what it means to be a church member. Our belief in membership is basic. There is nothing to sign and there are no classes to take. But, there is a commitment. The following points outline what we believe that commitment looks like, from a biblical standpoint, here at The Village Church.
- I have, by faith, believed that God raised Jesus from the dead and, through baptism, have publicly confessed that I am following Him as my Savior and Lord (Romans 10:9-10).
- I will live a life of devotion to: the teachings of Jesus Christ; the fellowship of believers; the proclamation of the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and; to prayer (Acts 2:42).
- I will, with the Lord’s help, seek to maintain and increase in the disciplines of prayer, Bible study, and personal evangelism (1 Peter 1:3-8).
- I will support the ministry of the Church through the cheerful giving of my time, abilities, resources, and finances (2 Corinthians 9:6-8).
- I will support, pray for, and encourage the Elders of the Church as the authority, established by the Word of God, for the work of the ministry of the Church (Hebrews 13:17).
- I will model, practice, and support Biblical standards of personal conduct that are in accordance with the Word of God and fitting for followers of Jesus Christ, in my relationships both within and outside of the Church (Colossians 3).
If you have any questions about any of this or want to talk more in depth about it, please contact me! It would be my pleasure to go over any of it with you!
Grace & Peace,
(You can reach Pastor John at firstname.lastname@example.org)